The Master of Architecture is a first professional degree accredited by the National Architectural Accrediting Board (NAAB) that prepares students to earn licensure in as little as 2 years. Our innovative approach to education integrates ongoing, real-world design practice with traditional classroom learning.
Integrated building systems and technology courses investigate how buildings perform. History and theory courses place current work into dialogue with other times and places. Design studios build students' capacity to integrate ideas and envision new conditions supported by drawing and making courses. Media courses harness the power of digital and physical making, offering a visual language to communicate ideas. All students receive guidance in pursuit of concurrent practice experience in design firms, community projects, research, and independent projects.
- Placement in the program is based on your individual experience level, so you can graduate in less time.
- Qualified students can enter the 2-year track, a flexible program ideal for working professionals.
- By engaging in professional practice and enrolling in NCARB's Architectural Experience Program (AXP), students may be eligible to take their licensing exams while they earn their degree.
- The BAC partners with over 350 firms that hire students to work while they study.
- Instructors are professionals and scholars in the field and bring current perspectives into the classroom.
- Progress is evaluated through portfolio reviews that prepare students to present their work.
- Students finish their program with a thesis of personal significance and larger value to the community and the discipline of architecture.
what our program offers
- The BAC is a fully accredited nonprofit college with more than 125 years of experience educating design professionals.
- Professional, practical experience is built into our curriculum alongside traditional classroom learning, making our students exceptionally competitive in the marketplace.
- 97% of BAC graduates are already employed in the design field on the day they graduate.
- 91% of our classes have fewer than 20 students.
- Our faculty of more than 300 practicing professionals and our deep ties to Boston's design community provide students with the connections to succeed in their fields.
- Our urban campus in the heart of downtown Boston is surrounded by inspiring architecture, museums, performance venues, and colleges and universities.
- With one in three Bostonians between the ages of 20 and 34, Boston is one of the most innovative cities in the country.