The Bachelor of Design Studies is a 4-year undergraduate degree that gives students the opportunity to explore design as a method for critical thinking and innovation. Choosing from a range of program options, students craft learning experiences that are tailored to support their education and career goals.
The program equips students with a broad foundation of skills and knowledge across the design disciplines, preparing them for a rigorous, flexible upper-level curriculum that incorporates real-world design practice. Students focus their studies on one of five majors:
Learn the fundamentals of building design and construction
Digital Design and Visualization
Explore how digital technology can create and execute design ideas across the creative professions
Design History, Theory & Criticism
Research, analyze, and evaluate buildings, interiors, landscapes, and other objects and artifacts
Understand preservation from research and documentation to restoration and adaptive reuse to law and public policy
Learn to design in ways that meet the needs of the present without compromising those of the future
the path to your degree
what our program offers
- The BAC is a fully accredited nonprofit college with more than 125 years of experience educating design professionals.
- Students begin their degree with a Foundation year, learning the fundamentals of design in multidisciplinary studios
- With average class size of 8 students, students receive individual attention from passionate, experienced instructors
- Our faculty of more than 300 practicing professionals and our deep ties to Boston's design community provide students with the connections to succeed in their fields.
- The applied learning component of the curriculum helps students to connect their studies to real-world design practice
- 97% of BAC graduates are already employed in the design field on the day they graduate.
- Our urban campus in the heart of downtown Boston is surrounded by inspiring architecture, museums, performance venues, and colleges and universities.
- With one in three Bostonians between the ages of 20 and 34, Boston is one of the most innovative cities in the country.
Design Studies graduates are putting design to work in such diverse careers as advocacy, building, project management, design, entrepreneurship, and organizational leadership.
The program is designed to allow students to tailor their degree to their interests and their goals. To learn more about the curriculum, choose a major above and explore your own path.