The Bachelor of Interior Architecture is a 4-year professional degree accredited by the Council for Interior Design Accreditation that prepares students to become certified interior designers. Our innovative approach to education integrates ongoing, real-world design practice with traditional classroom learning.
BAC students build their design and creative abilities in a core studio learning sequence, supported by drawing and software courses. Students study building systems to understand what is practical and study design history and theory to explore what is possible. Undergraduate students benefit from a full offering of liberal education courses. All students receive guidance in pursuit of concurrent practice experience in design firms, community projects, research, and independent projects.
- The term "interior architecture" emphasizes the expanded role of interior design in today's economy, culture, and technology.
- Students learn design principles alongside students of architecture and landscape architecture in the Foundation segment.
- Instructors are professionals in the field and bring current perspectives on interior architecture into the classroom.
- Our Materials Library houses thousands of samples of fabrics, wall coverings, windows, flooring, and sustainable materials for classroom projects, presentations, and experimentation.
- Students complete the curriculum with a degree project to explore an idea that reflects their personal design values and methods.
what our program offers
- The BAC is a fully accredited nonprofit college with more than 125 years of experience educating design professionals.
- Professional, practical experience is built into our curriculum alongside traditional classroom learning, making our students exceptionally competitive in the marketplace.
- 97% of BAC graduates are already employed in the design field on the day they graduate.
- 91% of our classes have fewer than 20 students.
- Our faculty of more than 300 practicing professionals and our deep ties to Boston's design community provide students with the connections to succeed in their fields.
- Our urban campus in the heart of downtown Boston is surrounded by inspiring architecture, museums, performance venues, and colleges and universities.
- With one in three Bostonians between the ages of 20 and 34, Boston is one of the most innovative cities in the country.