The BAC's Master of Landscape Architecture is a 3-year professional degree accredited by the Landscape Architectural Accreditation Board that prepares students to become licensed landscape architects. Our innovative approach to education integrates real-world design practice with traditional classroom learning.
Through studio work in urban design, planning, and site design, students gain knowledge over natural and constructed systems that shape urban spaces. Design concepts are supported by media and technology courses, providing students with representation skills and construction technology expertise. At the BAC, students also engage in experiential learning by working in professional firms, conducting community service, or exploring areas of applied research.
- The MLA is a first professional degree accredited by the Landscape Architectural Accreditation Board that prepares graduates for professional licensure.
- Students with a bachelor in design or architecture are admitted to the BAC's master's program with advanced standing.
- The BAC partners with over 350 firms that hire students to work while they study.
- Instructors are professionals in the field who bring current perspectives on landscape architecture into the classroom.
- Students begin their degree with a Foundation year, learning the fundamentals of design in multidisciplinary studios with students from across the BAC’s four schools.
- Students demonstrate mastery of the curriculum through scholarly research and a comprehensive, practical thesis project of personal significance and professional relevance.
- The BAC offers opportunities to learn through travel studios, guest lecturers, collaborative projects, and professional student groups.
what our program offers
- The BAC is a fully accredited nonprofit college with more than 125 years of experience educating design professionals.
- Professional, practical experience is built into our curriculum alongside traditional classroom learning, making our students exceptionally competitive in the marketplace.
- 97% of BAC graduates are already employed in the design field on the day they graduate.
- 91% of our classes have fewer than 20 students.
- Our faculty of more than 300 practicing professionals and our deep ties to Boston’s design community provide students with the connections to succeed in their fields.
- Our urban campus in the heart of downtown Boston is surrounded by inspiring architecture, museums, performance venues, and colleges and universities.
- With one in three Bostonians between the ages of 20 and 34, Boston is one of the most innovative cities in the country.