The BAC Writing and Learning Resource Center (LRC) provides a variety of academic support services. You must be a current BAC student, faculty, or staff member to receive tutoring. Tutors are fellow students, alumni, or specially hired professionals knowledgeable in their relevant subject matter. We are located on the 6th floor, room 605, 320 Newbury Street, and can be reached at 617.585.0174 or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
Writing support is offered year around, by appointment only. Trained consultants offer professional appraisal of all written material and can make suggestions to improve presentation and clarity. Call ahead to schedule a session. You can drop in only if an available session has gone unfilled.
Writing consultants can assist in any of the following ways (all services are free for BAC students):
- One-on-one Consultations: All writing consultants have extensive writing and teaching experience. They provide a professional eye to critically analyze your writing and suggest improvements. It's an interactive process that can benefit you at any stage of the writing process, from organizing ideas, to revising drafts, to putting the finishing touches on an essay. Sessions are booked in one-hour segments, and generally each person is limited to one hour a day.
- Resumes & Cover Letters: Learning Resource Center consultants provide a variety of resume and cover letter counseling. They can help you update your resume and more completely catalogue your skills. They can also provide much general job search information. (For specific practice-related issues, contact the Practice Office directly.)
- Tip Sheets: If you are not interested in scheduling a consultation session, but are interested in improving your writing, the LRC offers numerous tip sheets on a variety of writing and research subjects. Click on the Tip Sheet links to the left or drop by the LRC.
- Thesis Support: The LRC provides advanced help to those in Thesis Seminar or Degree Projects. Consultants can help you with focus, organization, analysis, as well as any research issues that might arise. Even if you have nothing written, but want to bounce your ideas off somebody, feel free to schedule a time.
- Portfolio Support: Consultants can help you assemble your studio and practice work for Portfolio Review. They can give feedback on the clarity of your writing and how clearly your concepts come across to the reader. They can also help you lay out your work in a logical, sequential fashion, so that anyone can follow the "story" of a given a project.
- English as a Second Language (ESL) Support: If English is not your first language, the Learning Resource Center can provide assistance. All writing consultants are experienced working with ESL students. Please note: The LRC cannot provide general ESL tutoring. All tutoring must be in connection with a class.
- Presentation Skills/Studio Tutoring: Writing Consultants can help you prepare for your next studio pin-up by helping you talk through your concepts to clarify them, and also coach you on how to deliver a more effective oral presentation.
Math, Physics, Structural Systems 1 & 2 Tutoring
Tutoring for these courses is offered fall and spring, and is offered in both drop-in and one-on-one formats. Please call to inquire about summer availability. Students seeking help are asked to first attend drop-in sessions. Drop-in hours are posted at the start of each term. Students can use drop-in for an unlimited number of hours each term. If you find drop-in is not sufficient and you need more intensive help (or if you cannot attend the sessions), contact the LRC to arrange one-on-one tutoring.
The LRC offers one-on-one tutoring in AutoCAD 2D and 3D, Revit, SketchUp, InDesign, Photoshop, Rhino, and many other programs (check for availability). Software tutoring needs to be in support of a BAC class or project.
Drawing and Model-Making Tutoring
The LRC offers one-on-one tutoring in physical modelling, freehand, orthogonal, and perspective drawing. Contact the LRC to make arrangements.