Hi IE6 user, you're viewing a text-only version of the BAC site. Upgrade to a free browser like Google Chrome to get the full experience.


Spring Break Office Hours

Please note that the Enrollment and Student Financial Services offices (Bursar, Registrar, Financial Aid, and Honors and Awards) will be open different hours over Spring Break. Those hours are as follows:

Mon. Mar. 17 - Fri. Mar. 21
9:00am - 5:00pm

The office will return to regular office hours beginning on Mon. Mar. 24.

Enrollment Status
Course Registration
Non-Matriculating Registration
Withdrawal (Course)
Pass/Fail Option
Independent Study Application
Program Change Form
In-Semester Full Withdrawal
BAC School Withdrawal
Leave of Absence
Change of Address
Change of Name
Course Incompletes
RF/Repetition of Courses
Grade Changes
Grade Appeal
Filing for Concurrent Transfer Credit
Waiver of Course Requirements
Replacement Diploma Request
FERPA (Family Education Rights & Privacy Act)

All definitions of enrollment status are based on the following:

  • Full-time:
    • To be considered full-time at the BAC, undergraduate students must be enrolled in 12 or more academic credits per semester
    • Graduate students are consideref full-time when enroll in 9 or more academic credits per semester, with the exception of the Master of Design Studies program, for which the standard is 6 or more academic credits per semester
  • Half-time:
    • To be considered half-time at the BAC, undergraduate students must be enrolled in a minimum of 6.0 academic credits per semester
    • Graduate students are considered half-time when enrolled in a minimum of 4.5 academic credits per semester, with the exception of the Master of Design Studies program, for which the standard is 3 or more academic credits per semester.

Students who have fulfilled the Practice Component degree requirement are considered half-time, for purposes of financial aid eligibility, unless registered for 12.0 academic credits that meet degree requirements.

Note: The degree programs are designed to be completed on a full-time basis. Full-time at the BAC means engaging in the Academic and Practice Components concurrently.
A registration letter that clarifies all registration deadlines and procedures is mailed to all active students prior to the Fall and Spring semesters.

Returning students must clear account balances, waive or purchase health insurance, and file the required Practice paperwork prior to Registration. Returning students who fail to meet the deadline to return these materials must pay a late fee in order to become eligible for registration. New students may register during New Student Orientations.

The BAC offers enrollment in certain degree program courses to non-matriculating students on a seat-available basis through its Part-Time Enrollment Program. Please contact the Registrar's Office at 617-585-0131 or registrar@the-bac.edu for further information.

There are two Add/Drop periods, one during the first two weeks of the semester, and the second during the first two weeks of the second-half of the term. During this time, students may amend their schedule by completing the Add/Drop form at the Registrar's Office. Adds may only take place during the first week of Add/Drop periods, while Drops may occur during both weeks.

Courses dropped during these periods do not appear on transcripts. All concurrent degree students taking above 10.0 academic credits are subject to additional tuition, as are all degree students enrolled in the Academic Only Program who register above 18.00 academic credits. Carrying less than 6.0 academic credits changes a student's status to less than half-time and requires consultation with both the Bursar's Office and the Registrar's Office. Warning: Students who receive financial aid or who have loan deferments must contact the Financial Aid Office before changing their enrollment status to assess the consequences of less than half-time status.

Full-Semester and Half-Semester Courses: After the Add/Drop periods end, students who wish to withdraw from a course must complete and submit a Course Withdrawal form by the end of:

  1. the fifth week for first-half courses
  2. the eleventh week for full-length courses
  3. the thirteenth week for second-half courses

Students may withdraw from courses by obtaining an Advising signature for their withdrawal form, available at Advising or on the BAC website. Withdrawal from a class appears as a "W" on academic transcripts, and while a “W” does not affect grade point average, it does count toward credits attempted for the semester. Students who receive financial aid should contact the Financial Aid Office to assess the consequences of withdrawing from a course.

Important Notes: Failure to attend a course does not result in the course being dropped automatically from the student's transcript. Students should be aware that failure to officially drop or withdraw from a course in which the student does not participate will result in a grade of RF (Repeat Fail) or NF (Failure due to Non-Attendance).

A pass/fail option is available for students for "extra" courses not required for graduation (all electives required for graduation must be taken on a graded basis). Degree students are not permitted to audit courses. By the end of Add/Drop, interested students must fill out a Pass/Fail Option Application, have it signed by an advisor and the course instructor, and return it to the Registrar. No changes either to or from pass/fail grading status are allowed after the add/drop deadline. Pass/fail courses are charged on a regular tuition basis and appear on a student's transcript. Students receiving Federal Financial Aid must obtain the approval of the Financial Aid office prior to registering for a course they intend to take Pass/Fail.


Independent studies may be undertaken twice during a student's career at the BAC. They are taken on a Pass/Fail basis for 1.5 or 3.0 credits. In order to be eligible, students must:

  • Have completed at least four semesters at the BAC.
  • Have an overall GPA and STGPA of 2.50 (2.70 for Segment II master's students) or greater.
  • You must fill out the Independent Study Application by the end of the Add/Drop period. Attach a 1-3 page typed description of your proposed course, including a schedule of meetings with the instructor, assignments you will submit, and a description of a final project you will submit or present. You also must include a resume of the faculty member if he or she is not a member of the BAC faculty. The instructor must sign and date the form, which is then submitted to the VP for Educational Initiatives and the Director of Student Services for approval.
  • Obtain approval from both the Program Head and Advising.

Guidelines for the matriculated students' use of educational experiences outside accredited academic institutions for credit at the BAC:

There are many educational opportunities our matriculating students encounter outside the BAC. Some of these are offered by private entities and may not be offered for official credit, but these may still be of value to the student. Because the BAC is an accredited institution of higher learning, it is accountable for the assessment of all the education for which it awards credit. Therefore, students who intend to utilize such educational opportunities for BAC credit, whether waived or transferred, before beginning a relevant course of study, must find an instructor, usually a Head of School or Education Director, who is willing to serve as advisor to an independent study. The student will need to fill out an Independent Study Form, available online or at the Registrar's Office, and supply the Head of School with the name of the instructor, number of credits requested, a full description of the educational experiences expected, and the documentation the student will supply the instructor in order to assess the work at the end of the experience. Please note that independent studies may be taken twice during a student's course of study at the BAC only after four completed semesters, and students are expected to have achieved the required grade point average of their programs.

To be eligible for a program change, you must be in Segment I. Program changes can occur across concentrations, ie B.Arch to BDS, or MID to M.Arch However, you cannot change degree levels.

Students who wish to withdraw from all of their courses in a semester must complete and submit a Full Withdrawal Form by the 11th week of classes, making certain to check the "Semester" withdrawal box. Refunds are administered according to the Refund Schedule. The amount is contingent upon the date that written notice is received by the Registrar. Students who have received financial aid while at the BAC must also contact the Financial Aid Office regarding an exit interview concerning their rights and responsibilities as student loan borrowers.

Students who wish to discontinue their active student status from the BAC at the end of the semester must notify the Registrar, via the Full Withdrawal fom.

A Leave of Absence (LOA) is a period of time in which a degree program student is not attending classes. Students must complete a Leave of Absence form and submit it to the Registrar, by the end of Add/Drop in the semester in which the Leave begins. Students who wish to take a Leave of Absence should first meet with an academic Advisor and a representative from the Practice department, in order to assess the implications that taking a leave would have on their progress. Students who receive financial aid must also contact the Financial Aid Office to assess their options and obligations. Leave of Absence forms are valid for one semester only. A new form must be completed before each additional semester of leave. A maximum leave of four consecutive semesters is allowed in both the bachelor's and master's programs.

Students are responsible for informing the Registrar of any address changes that occur during the semester.

Students are responsible for informing the Registrar of any name changes that occur during the semester. Proof of the name change must be submitted along with the request.

Students may access their grades via their Self-Service accounts. Grades will display as soon as they are recorded. Inquiries regarding grades not received or grades in question should be directed to the Registrar. Under no circumstances will grades be released by anyone other than the Registrar.

Incompletes may be granted, upon presentation by the student to the instructor of acceptable evidence of extenuating circumstances that prevent completion of the course requirements within the assigned time. The instructor may grant an extension of up to seven weeks beyond the end date of the semester in which the course was taken. If the instructor fails to direct the Registrar to change the Incomplete to another letter grade by the published deadline, the Incomplete automatically converts to RF seven weeks after the conclusion of the semester in which it was earned. The student is responsible for ensuring that the Registrar has been notified by the instructor of the grade change.
A student may repeat any course in which s/he has received a failing grade. Upon passing the course, the original grade will convert to NC and the new grade will be used in computing the student's GPA. If a student receives more than one failing grade for a course, only the most recent failing mark will be replaced. Other instances of failing marks for the course will remain on the transcript and count toward calculation of the student's GPA. Please note that a course may only be taken a third time by permission of the applicable Program Head.

Note: Grade changes will occur automatically when the same course is retaken (e.g., an RF in Structures will be replaced after the Structures course has been successfully repeated). However, if a student desires a grade replacement by a different course that is within the same discipline, s/he must initiate this change by submitting the request in writing to the Registrar.

Grades may be given or changed only by instructors, except in extraordinary cases where the appropriate Program Head may intervene. Grade changes must be completed by the end of the semester immediately following the one in which the original course was taken. After that time, a student must petition the Appeals Committee for permission to have a grade changed.

A student who disagrees with a grade must first contact the instructor to resolve the issue. If a satisfactory resolution is not achieved, the student may contact the appropriate Program Head. After reviewing the matter with the instructor, the Head will decide whether the student's work should be re-evaluated or if grade should be changed. Grades may only be challenged through the end of the semester following the one in which the disputed grade was earned.

Concurrent transfer credit may be awarded for courses taken at other institutions while a student is enrolled in one of the BAC's degree programs. Any course taken outside the BAC must be preapproved by the Director of Student Placement to ensure that it will meet degree requirements. The following steps must be taken:

  1. Contact Academic Advising at advising@the-bac.edu requesting preapproval. Specify which degree requirement the course is intended to fulfill and enclose the name of the college, the number of credits or credit hours, and full course information, including a course description.
  2. Register for the class at the host school.
  3. Have the Registrar at the host school send an official transcript to the Academic Advising Office at the BAC, after the course has been completed.

Important: Students receiving financial aid must complete additional procedures through the Financial Aid Office before registering for a course offered by another college.

In the case of studios taken elsewhere, the procedure is slightly different. Although preapproval may be granted upon request, awarding of studio transfer credit is contingent upon a review of the student's studio work by the appropriate Program Head (final studio work must be presented in portfolio form). Studio transfer credit is awarded only upon passing the BAC review. It is advisable to meet with the Program Head well in advance of enrolling, in order to gain a clear understanding of the expectations that apply.

Reminder: Students must earn a C or better for a course to be eligible for transfer credit. The only exception is that a B or better must be earned in courses that fulfill the BAC's Math and Physics requirements. Transfer credits do not affect GPA .

There is a difference between transfer credit and a waiver. Transferred credits fulfill specific course requirements. A select group of requirements may be waived if the student can demonstrate that s/he has the competence that the course seeks to instill. The definition of "competence" is determined by the BAC.

If a course requirement is waived, the student does not have to take that course. However, the credit-hour requirement must be fulfilled in some appropriate way, as determined by the BAC.


Graduates of the Boston Architectural Center are eligible to receive one Boston Architectural College diploma at no cost until December 31, 2007. Additional copies are available at a cost of $35.00 each (processing fee and postage). Requests will be processed in eight to twelve weeks depending on the volume of requests. Questions should be addressed to the Registrar's Office at 617-585-0135.

FERPA (Family Education Rights & Privacy Act) and Student Records
The Family Education Rights & Privacy Act of 1974, commonly known as FERPA, provides that all records pertaining to a student that are maintained by the college must be open for inspection by the student and may not be made available to any other person without the written authorization of the student.

The following items are considered Directory Information and may be released without the written consent of the student: name, address, telephone number, enrollment status, dates of attendance, major, and degree conferred (including dates). The Boston Architectural College may disclose these items without prior written consent, unless notified by the student in writing to the contrary. Nondisclosure stipulations remain in effect until removed in writing by the student, even if the student has withdrawn or graduated. A request form to prevent disclosure of Directory Information is available to students from the Registrar's Office.