Hi IE6 user, you're viewing a text-only version of the BAC site. Upgrade to a free browser like Google Chrome to get the full experience.

Transfer Credit

Filing for Concurrent Transfer Credit

Concurrent academic transfer credit may be awarded for courses taken at other institutions while a student is enrolled in one of the BAC's degree programs. Any course taken outside the BAC must be pre-approved by the Dean of Advising Services in consultation with Program Directors to ensure that it will meet degree requirements. The following steps must be taken.

  • E-mail a request to the Dean of Advising Services requesting pre-approval. Specify which degree requirement the course is intended to fulfill and include the name of the college, the number of credits or credit hours and full course information, including a course description. Students will be notified of the decision within a week of submitting the required documents.
  • Have the Registrar at the host school send an official transcript to the BAC's Advising office after the course has been completed. The transcript must be received by the Registrar by the seventh week after the conclusion of the BAC's semester.

Note: Students receiving financial aid must complete additional procedures through the Financial Aid Office before registering for a course offered by another college.

In the case of design courses taken elsewhere, the procedure is slightly different. Although pre-approval may be granted on request, awarding of studio transfer credit is contingent upon a review of the student's studio work by the appropriate BAC Program Director. (Final studio work must be presented in portfolio form.) It is advisable to meet with the appropriate program director well in advance of course registration, to gain a clear understanding of the expectations for being awarded credit.

Note: Students must earn a grade of "C" or better for a course to be eligible for transfer credit. The only exception is that a "B" or better must be earned in courses that fulfill the BAC, math, and physics requirements for degree students. Transfer credits do not affect GPA.

Note: Students will be charged a $200 fee for transfer credit assessments requested after two semesters of study.

Waiver of Course Requirements

Transfer credit is not the same as a waiver. Transferred credits fulfill specific course requirements, whereas a select group of requirements may be waived if the student can demonstrate that s/he has the competence that the course seeks to instill. The definition of "competence" is determined by the BAC. To obtain a waiver, students need to meet with a transfer counselor, bringing with them relevant materials. A committee reviews the work and determines whether it demonstrates a level of skill equivalent to that required for a grade of "C" or better in the relevant BAC course. If a course requirement is waived, the student does not have to take the course; however, the credit-hour requirement must be fulfilled within the same curricular area as the waived course.

Transferring Credits from Another School

If you are hoping to transfer in credits to the BAC from another school you attended or from the Professional & Continuing Education department at the BAC, review the transfer credit information posted on the Admission website. Here you will find information about the following:

  • Time limitations for transfer credits
  • Requirements of courses to be transferred
  • Petitioning for practice hours from prior to enrollment
  • Policies regarding transfer credits from the BAC's School of Professional and Continuing Education
  • How courses are treated if you need to reactivate your enrollment after a long leave