MLA Advanced Placement Curriculum
The Master of Landscape Architecture (MLA) Advanced Placement is a two-year graduate program focused on urban landscapes and ecological infrastructure. The MLA professional degree conferred by the School of Landscape Architecture at the BAC is accredited by the Landscape Architecture Accreditation Board (LAAB).
In addition to the courses below, students will participate in Practice [4.1.1 Practice/Learn through Experience] and partake in community work and professional collaboration.
Segment II: Integration
Segment II leads to a complex set of spatial problems addressing global, regional, and local aspects of urban landscape architecture. Throughout the program, students explore landscape design and construction technologies, including sustainable infrastructure principles and applications, as well as develop a deeper understanding of cultural parameters through research and scholarly methods.
- DME2015 Landscape Representation: GIS and Environmental Design Introduction
- DME2016 Landscape Representation: GIS and Environmental Design Applications
- DME2044 Advanced 2D Digital Visualization
- DME2045 Advanced 3D Modeling and Form
- TSM2008 Grading 1: Landforms, Earthwork and Grading
- MNS2009 Plant Taxonomy
- LAN2004 LA Studio: Urban Design and Infrastructure Networks
- TSM2009 Grading 2: Principles of Hydrology and Stormwater Management
- SSH3007 Research in Social Science: Topics and Methods
- MNS2004 Ecology Systems
- HTC3034 Contemporary Landscape Architecture Seminar
- PRV0002 Portfolio Review 2—450 Practice hours required
Segment III: Synthesis
In Segment III, students enter Thesis year and a more independent phase of research and study. They formulate individual proposals in an area of professional inquiry, and demonstrate the skills, knowledge and abilities applied to a practical design project.
- LAN3005 Advanced Landscape Studio | Interdisciplinary Project
- TSM2011 Materials and Methods: Construction Details, Application, and Admin 1
- TSM2012 Materials and Methods: Construction Details, Application, and Admin 2
- TSM2013 Public Policy and Environmental Ethics for Sustainable Communities
- Directed Elective
- LAN3010 Landscape Architecture Thesis Research
- LAN3011 Landscape Architecture Thesis Studio
- SUS2022 Sustainable Planting Design and Practices
- TSM2018 Professional Practice
- Directed Elective