Information for Admitted International Students

International Advising

Maria Polyanskaya
International Student Advisor

Fax: 617.585.0121

Welcome! We are excited you will be joining The Boston Architectural College, and we hope you find your time here academically, professionally, and personally fulfilling. Now that you have been admitted, the following information will help you get ready for your time in Boston.

For information about registering for classes, attending orientation, and finding housing, visit Information for Admitted Students.

Degree-seeking international students must obtain an F-1 visa in order to seek admission to the US for full-time studies, unless you are a citizen of Canada. Citizens of Canada do not require F-1 visas but must present appropriate means of documentation at the US port-of-entry to seek admission for full-time studies. All other students will be issued a Certificate of Eligibility (I-20) to apply for your F-1 visa to enter the United States. The Form I-20 is processed and maintained in the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS). SEVIS is a web-based information system that allows information sharing among the various institutions and government agencies.

To receive a Certificate of Eligibility (I-20), accepted international students must submit:

1. Copy of your valid passport
2. Copy of current bank statement that reflects total amount of tuition and fees for one academic year
3. Certificate of Finance

Students transferring from another US institution or English language program must also submit:

1. F-1 Transfer Verification Form
2. Copy of current Form I-20
3. Copy of current visa
4. Copy of current I-94 printout

Visa Information

In order to apply for an F-1 visa, you must provide the US Embassy or Consulate with your Form I-20, passport, statement of funds, and any documents required by the US Embassy or Consulate in your home country. In the case of Canadian citizens, you must use your Form I-20 to seek admission to the US in F-1 status at a US port-of-entry (without an F-1 visa). You cannot enter the US on a B-2 (tourist) visa and change to F-1 visa status after you arrive. You also cannot enter the US on a visa waiver and change to F-1 status after your arrival.

F-2 Status

The spouse or child of an F-1 student enters the US in F-2 status and is admitted for the same length of time as the F-1 student. Any student wishing to bring a spouse and/or child to the US should email the International Student Advisor to discuss the financial implications and to have the necessary documents prepared. Individuals in F-2 status are never allowed to be employed and cannot study full-time.

SEVIS (I-901) Fee

The US Department of Homeland Security (DHS) requires F-1 visa applicants to pay a one-time fee to supplement the administration and maintenance costs of the Student and Exchange Information System (SEVIS).

Information on who is subject to the SEVIS fee requirement
Pay SEVIS (I-901) fee

Health Insurance

All BAC students are required to have US based health insurance. Please visit our Student Heath Insurance page for more information.